Gender Discrimination

Unequal treatment based on sex and sexual harassment violate the laws prohibiting gender discrimination.  Your civil rights may have been violated if you were treated unfairly or denied opportunities because of your gender when seeking housing, in your employment, or education. Sexual harassment is a form of gender discrimination.  If a person’s conduct is unwelcome or offensive, it may constitute sexual harassment.  It is illegal be treated unequally because of your gender. Discussing gender discrimination with an civil rights attorney is the best approach to protecting your rights.

Title IX

Title IX requires that no person in the United States may be barred from participation in, denied benefits from, or discriminated against "on the basis of sex" in any education program or activity that receives federal funding. Title IX is federal legislation that prohibits sexual violence, rape, harassment, exhibitionism, threats, and abuse in an educational setting in its broadest sense. Title IX also forbids any form of discrimination based on gender, protecting men and women equally. Under Title IX, educational settings include "any public or private preschool, elementary, or secondary school, or any institution of vocational, professional, or higher education…."

If you have been discriminated against, you may be entitled to damages for any physical harm, emotional harm, institutional distrust, lost income, lost opportunities, lost employment, lost career growth, and loss of lifestyle, among other losses.  Successful claims may also include awards for punitive damages, attorney fees, and costs.   

The attorneys at Blackford Carls P.C. handle Title IX and gender discrimination cases. The attorneys at Blackford Carls P.C. have experience in advocating for victims of gender discrimination. See more about this at our Press Page.

If you feel you have experienced gender discrimination or sexual harassment, the attorneys at Blackford Carls P.C. can help.

Have you been the victim of sex discrimination or harrassment?

Complete the form below for a free phone consultation or call us at 406.577.2145